The Parishes - Godrevy Team Ministry - Gwinear, Gwithian, Phillack, St Elwyn, St Erth - Cornwall | Diocese of Truro

Go to content

Main menu:

St Erth Church

There has been a church on this site since Celtic times.  It is situated in the heart of the village by the river Hayle on a peaceful and attractive site.  The church is a Grade I listed building in good repair.  The roof has recently been refurbished, but the maintenance of the building is an ongoing concern.

Our churchmanship is Liberal Catholic and the preferred main Sunday Service is a Eucharist.  However a successful All Age Worship Service is held at the main service time once a month, enjoying input from the Children's Church and congregation.  Each Sunday we also have an 8am Order 1 Eucharist and 6pm BCP Evensong.  On Wednesday at 6.45pm there is an Order 1 Traditional Eucharist and on Monday evening there is a house Meditation Group.

St Elwyn

The parish has served the people of the Foundry area of Hayle, close to the beach and harbour, since 1870 although services were held in St John's until the present Grade II* listed church was built 1884/1886.  It was dedicated to the fifth century Irish missionary St Elwyn, The Martyr.

We have an electoral roll of 61; the Anglo Catholic tradition is observed, with incense being offered and the Angelus sung at the 9.30 Sunday Eucharist and other festivals.  There is a strong and friendly midweek communion on Wednesdays.  The acoustics at St Elwyn's are excellent and it is used as a practice venue by the much respected Penwith Deanery Choir.  We also have a very talented organist.


St Winnear
(to see Gwinear Parish Church dedicated website please click here)

The present Grade I building is mainly 14th-Century (seating capacity over 350).  The fabric of the church is in a state of general good repair:  The church is situated some distance from the main centre of population (Reawla).

The Tradition of the Churchmanship at St. Winnear is low.  The morning service held at 11.00 am is Eucharist twice per month with Family (non-Eucharist) Worship on alternate Sundays.  Additionally there is a Eucharist service at 8.00 am on the 3rd Sundays of the month.  All these use Common Worship.  On two evenings each month we have BCP/CW Evensong alternating with BCP Communion Services.  The Fifth Sunday joint Eucharistic services can easily be accommodated.

St Gothian

A Grade II* building dedicated to St. Gothian with a capacity of 120.  Sunday Services are held at 11am and are rotated generally on a four Sundays basis with any 5th Sunday now in the form of a "Team Service".  The 1st Sunday at Gwithian Church is a Matins service, usually sung, the 2nd Sunday is a Holy Communion service, the 3rd Sunday is All Age Worship conducted by our own Worship Leaders and the 4th Sunday is again Holy Communion in the form of the 1662 service.  Whilst our own churchmanship is of a liberal catholic tradition the congregation is able to enjoy other forms of worship within the Team and at the local Wesleyan Chapel.

St Felicitas & St Piala

One of the oldest sites of continuous Christian worship in the county, in the nineteenth century the discovery of the 'Chi-Rho' stone during a rebuilding of the nave and chancel suggested that Christians have met on this site since the fourth century.

The present Grade II building dedicated to St Felicitas and St Piala was remodelled extensively in the 1850's; there is a fourteenth century tower.  Within the past five years we have constructed new disabled access to the church, replastered the north wall, and parts of the south aisle.  The roof will be replaced in 2007, upon completion of funding.  There is an ongoing programme to make the building more user- friendly and to create spaces within the church which can accommodate smaller gatherings.

Back


 

Last Updated on || © Editor 2009 || Hosted for Free by Web Design Sussex - SME Web Solutions ||

Copyright 2016. All rights reserved.
Back to content | Back to main menu